Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tennis Season in Two Weeks

Tennis season starts in less than two weeks, and I am still not where I want to be in terms of skill. Honestly, I can't have expected any better, considering I haven't played more than once a week all winter. I was studying for my SATs so I had to stop taking private lessons. My serve is pathetic and my backhand has no spin and not enough power. From this point on, since I still have two weeks, I am going to try to get better. Since NA's varsity tennis team is the defending state champion, I know making varsity is unrealistic for me. But I want to try to be in the top 5 JVs. Tennis is an extremely fun sport to play, and I simply love spring because of tennis season. As for my fitness for this season, I am better than ever with just one problem: the issue of my shoes remains unresolved. I am flat-footed with shin-splints, and every step hurts when I run. It hurts in tennis too, but nothing like in cross country, so hopefully it isn't too much of a factor to my gameplay. I have tried a variety of shoes to take care of this, but none of them have made any difference, and I am now looking towards orthodics (specialized shoes made for an individual) but they may be too expensive. I have watched a lot of tennis since last season, following Wimbledon, the US Open, and the Australian Open intently. Hopefully this will help me play better, if only marginally. I went to a clinic on friday night with a lot of friends from the team. I am not nearly as bad as I could have been, and I actually think I might start the season at a higher level than I expected. My forehand is well controlled and has good spin. My volleys leave much to be desired, though. Hopefully my forehand will help me power ahead of other players. I am going to play as often as possible from today, and maybe by tryouts on March 8, I will have improved enough to start where I want to on the team.

Wish me luck, and I will update this after tryouts.

1 comment:

Pankaj said...

Best of luck Neel! Just a matter of putting your heart in it and dreaming that dream! Keep going and never give up!